Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Fish

For christmas I went to my church. I can't remember when I was last there - other than a few funerals. Christmas 2010? It was busy. We were forced to sit in the side aisle. Diagonally in front of me a window high with three overlapping circles.
For Christians this triquetra is the symbol for the Blessed Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. 

Saturday I saw for the first time that two overlapping parts represent the symbol of a 'fish'. In Greek 'fish' is 'Ichthys': an acronym for 'Iesous CHristos THeou Yios Soter'. Translated in English as 'Jesus Christ God's Son and Saviour'. Do you see the 3 fish too - I coloured one of them blue? 
One image. And a lot of secrets for those who have the eyes to "see":
  • Blessed trinity. 3 circles and 3 fish
  • Message of acronym 'Ichthys'. Jesus is the son of God and our saviour 
  • Identification. Distinguish Christian friends from foes. A friend knows what the fish represents
  • Invitation. Jesus wants you to be a fisher of men
  • Plenty. Multiplication of loaves and fish to feed the multitude  
  • Trust. Follow Jesus and he will to take care for fish (with a coin in its mouth) to pay for ...
  • ... - there must be more

No comments:

Post a Comment