Wednesday, February 27, 2013

But I'll

My kids complain about the lack of "free time" for themselves. Time for watching TV, behind computer, playing games. Time to play with their friends "outside" the house "somewhere" in the little village we live in. I did not tell them yet how life was when their grandpa was young. But I'll ;)

Last Sunday I interviewed - for a historical newsletter - an eighty-eight year old woman about her life. Between 1937 and 1944 she went to boarding school. Her days were stuffed with prayers, lessons and study. Never alone. Always nuns looking after them. Even the letters she wrote to her parents and her parents letters to her were screened!








I understand how it worked more than seventy years ago. At the same time it feels strange and so different from our time and age. Respect for priests, teachers and authorities in general disappeared. The hot tub, the scourge and the safe-haven of the doctrine of Christ has disappeared. Disappeared in my country. In my family. For my kids.

My kids aren't looking for Christ or God. They want "freedom". I didn't tell them yet that nothing comes for free. But I'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment