Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Gold Seekers. Gold Only?

These days I am checking out Clements R. Markham (1830-1916). His translations, from Spanish into English, of the original chronicles of the conquest of Peru were the main source for Bingham's search for the last Inca capital.

I am curious if the conquistadors of Peru (e.g. Francisco Pizarro) were really that gold thirsty. Not too one-dimensional? Did those men have no other dreams?

What a bless is The Internet these days. I was able to find all the books. Now I must find the time to read them :)
The last book Markham wrote about Peru (1912). Link to book: here

Translation of Baltasar de Ocampo's chronicles. Link to book: here 


Translation of Pedro de Cieza de Leon's chronicles part I. Link to book: here


Translation of Pedro de Cieza de Leon's chronicles part II. Link to book: here


No comments:

Post a Comment